Cricket Highlights  

Go Back   Cricket Highlights > Board Forum > Cricket Talk

Notices

Old 02-03-2009, 05:30 AM
hk2009

Default Does the cricket team represent the BCCI, the government or India?

* October 5, 2004 : "The cricket team selected by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) plays as the BCCI's team and not as a team representing the government of India -- there is no ambiguity here," says Ranbir Singh Mahendra, president-elect of the BCCI.

* February 2, 2005: The Supreme Court rules that the BCCI is not a 'state' within the meaning of Article 12 of the Constitution. The SC says the government does not in any way exercise control over the BCCI's functions and administration.

* February 3, 2005 : "We are pleased that the Supreme Court verdict has gone in our favour. I won't comment on who the cricket team represents," says Mahendra.

If the BCCI is an autonomous body that runs cricket in the country, selects the team we watch, and organises matches without government interference, logically, international cricketers represent the BCCI, right?

Wrong.

"I obviously play for India," says Harbhajan Singh.

"I'm proud to represent India," says Gautam Gambhir.

International cricketers maintain that they represent India, though they are presented by the BCCI. The BCCI is 'state' then? "It is understood that the players represent India. The contention that they form Team BCCI and not Team Government of India was a technicality forwarded as an argument in court in connection with the telecast rights issue," says Jagmohan Dalmiya, "As president of the International Cricket Council, I represented India. Similarly, for all practical purposes, ours is the Indian cricket team. Any other inference is misinterpretation."

Folks welcome your ideas on the topic, what do you think so?
Old 02-03-2009, 06:41 AM
Registered Member

I would like to edit ICL in it. Players really represent BCCI in the world and not India as per details on paper. ICL is not allowed due to IPL and not Government (Although Govt. is in BCCI Committer, Pawar, etc.)

Now Point is, If Indian Team represent BCCI, then their is no right to use "Indian" in the team. It should be better BCCI Team similiar to Delhi Daredevils, etc.

They bared ICL players from all associations. It's like when one former employee join other company, and boss never allow him to come back.

Will not add more, other's comments appreciated.