Cricket Highlights  

Go Back   Cricket Highlights > Board Forum > Cricket Talk

Notices

Old 14-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Default IPL next stop for Kamran Khan

Kamran Khan,the 18-year old Rajasthan Royals rookie left-arm seamer who has shot into prominence after taking a wicket off a yorker in an IPL warm-up game against the Cape Cobras over the weekend, has expressed his happiness at receiving a US$24,000 contract with the franchise but wished he had received the money sooner as his family struggled with poverty.

"Had this money come two years back, I might not have lost my mother," Kamran told the Indian Express. Kamran was spotted in a Twenty20 tournament in Mumbai by Rajasthan's director of coaching Darren Berry and signed up despite having no first-class experience. Kamran said having spent his nights on railway stations when travelling for cricket trials, it wasn't easy getting used to five-star hotel comforts in South Africa. "Be it Lucknow or Kanpur, I used to sleep at platforms. I used to buy a platform ticket and spend the night there. Having slept all these years on a rough floor Neend hi nahi aayee pehli raat [I couldn't sleep the first night].

"I always had monetary problems. I never dared to ask money from my brothers. I had one pair of white clothes for trials."

Shane Warne, the Rajasthan captain, said Kamran, who bowls over 140kph despite his slight frame, will be one to watch out for this IPL season. Kamran said he didn't know what Warne had said about him. "Bahut fast angrezi bolte hain [He speaks English very rapidly]."

Kamran was overwhelmed by the change in his fortunes over the last few weeks. "Even until few days ago, nobody knew me. I used to play at the Azad Maidan in Mumbai and just hoped to keep on doing the hard work. I'd gone for trials to every part of UP but without success."

Old 28-04-2009, 07:28 AM
samiamnot1

When I watch him bowl, I feel that his action is a little weird, like Murali's, or Malinga, meaning not usual. Still, he is fine and his story is like from Rags to Riches. So, if everything goes, then we have another Khan in Indian team, may be replacing Munaf Patel.

I personally think, no matter of his speed, Munaf should be out of the team, may be another seamer should be given a chance, like this Khan guy.